Plastic surgery can address almost all of the obvious signs of aging and make you appear at least a decade younger. There are undeniably a plethora of cosmetic procedures to address the aging concerns of patients. For example eyelid lifts, brow lifts & fat grafting to name a few. A popular complaint plaguing patients as they age, loss of neck crispness, accompanied by loss of a well-defined jawline. Additionally many men & women also complain of a loss of cheek volume and also the appearance of lower eyelid bags. Unfortunately, loss of neck contour is not simply a problem in the neck area. It is the by-product of all facial tissues drooping and settling in the neck area.
Many people are under the impression that the solution to the loss of neck contour is a “neck lift” procedure. A lower rhytidectomy is the clinical term to describe neck lift surgery. In reality, & unfortunately for most, an isolated neck lift rarely solves the problem. Simply “lifting” the neck—removing some fat and skin and tightening neck muscles—does not address the cause of the problem in the cheeks, nor the eyelid bags. Therefore, it is not likely to give patients the results they want.
How A Neck Lift and Facelift Are Related
Dr. Michael Zenn frequently discusses the neck lift and facelift concepts with his patients. Over the course of his career, he has conducted tens of thousands of plastic and reconstructive surgeries. He is one of the rare plastic surgeons who are fellowship-trained in head and neck procedures in addition to his plastic surgery training. Dr. Zenn also served on the editorial board of the professional publication, Head and Neck, for eight years in addition to various plastic surgery journals.
- Drooping and deflated, flattened cheeks.
- A separation between the lower eyelid and cheek with lower eyelid “bags.”
- A poorly defined jawline with obvious “jowls.”
- Wrinkled and sagging skin in the neck, to clarify sometimes referred to as a “turkey gobbler.”
- Descent of the eyebrows and nasal tip and elongation of the earlobes.
Isolated Procedures for the Neck
Patients spend extensive time in consultation with Dr. Zenn. This time allows them the opportunity to discuss what they want to accomplish with plastic surgery. As well as, to learn about their treatment options to accomplish their cosmetic surgery goals.
- If you are exploring a neck lift because you want to get rid of a double chin or jowls, you may benefit from KYBELLA®: a non-surgical injectable solution that helps to eliminate neck fat under the chin and jawline without surgery.
- BOTOX® can reduce the appearance of dynamic wrinkles: those signs of aging that appear when you make certain facial expressions and that can become permanent over time, such as wrinkles around the mouth and bands in the neck.
- • In rare cases, patients can have liposuction around the neck or isolated neck surgery to tighten specific neck muscles and remove fat which can also promote a more youthful appearance.
In these circumstances, the expectations and results may be limited or less long lasting, but are still effective.
Choosing Facelift Over Neck Lift
Facelift patients can expect to see comprehensive aesthetic improvement in their mid-to-lower face, including their neck. Dr. Zenn’s surgical approach hides incisions in natural creases on the face, under the chin, and behind the ears. Patients of Dr. Zenn find they look natural and rejuvenated after a facelift, not different.
For the procedure:
- For your comfort and safety, you will have surgery at one of several accredited surgical facilities. A board-certified anesthesiologist/CRNA helps patients sleep safely and comfortably throughout the surgery. As well as wake up with little or no pain, sore throat, or queasiness.
- With a facelift, you will receive the same benefits you might expect from just a “neck lift”: a more defined jawline and neckline, the elimination of excess skin, and smoother features, but the result is longer lasting as the causes of the problem are directly addressed.
- You will go home the same day. Some patients choose to stay overnight, and if desired, that can be arranged.
As part of any treatment at Zenn Plastic Surgery, you will benefit from expert care throughout your experience. Dr. Zenn and our staff are committed to your comfort and your safety, and we will be available to answer any questions you have before your surgery and during your recovery.
Is your goal to eliminate the signs of aging in your neck area? If so, its time you schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Zenn. He will listen to your concerns & goals you hope to achieve if you move forward with a plastic surgery. Subsequently he will do a physical exam to address which cosmetic surgery procedures could help you meet & even exceed your goals. Dr. Zenn will then explain all the surgical and possibly also non-surgical approaches to ultimately give you the face & neck, and even body that you so desire.