Why Choose Dr. Zenn?
- Dr. Zenn is universally recognized as a master breast surgeon by his peers
- He is frequently invited to teach breast surgery techniques around the world
- Dr. Zenn has published several textbook chapters and articles on breast surgery
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor for Cosmetic Surgery
- His extensive background with cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery provides a significant knowledge base that makes him uniquely suited for complex breast lift surgery
What is a Breast Lift (Mastopexy)?
Breast lift surgery (mastopexy) addresses sagging and skin excess that commonly occurs in the breasts as a result of pregnancy, weight changes, and the aging process. The procedure rejuvenates the breasts by elevating the nipple, reshaping the breast gland, and removing excess skin to create a more youthful and beautiful shape.
Dr. Zenn’s Approach
Dr. Zenn always lets his patient’s concerns and goals guide treatment planning. There are many mastopexy techniques; over his career Dr. Zenn has tried them all and has mastered those that have stood the test of time. By understanding what a patient wants to change about her breasts and how she wants them to look after surgery, Dr. Zenn will select the technique that is most appropriate to achieve the desired result.
Breast lift surgery is a more complex and technically difficult surgery to perform than breast augmentation. Experience is key during a breast lift procedure as it is a reshaping surgery, it requires adjustments and modifications during the surgery.
Dr. Zenn’s typical aesthetic goals are to:
- Reshape the breasts into a more uplifted, youthful shape that is attractive, natural-looking, and symmetrical
- Reposition the breasts to sit higher on the chest, which creates a more youthful cleavage that fills a bra comfortably and opens the door to a wider variety of clothing
- Ensure the position and size of the nipple and areola are correct to complement the new shape of the breasts
Breast sagging often coincides with a lack of volume in the upper slope of the breast. In many cases, patients benefit from a combination of breast lift and breast augmentation. This augmentation can also incorporate breast implants or fat grafting. A combined procedure with the addition of volume can help patients restore the youthful shape they lost over time or never truly had but always desired.
Breast lift surgery is one of Dr. Zenn’s favorite operations because it is artistic – he is literally reshaping the breast. No two patients are alike. A cookie cutter approach to breast lift surgery will not deliver beautiful results to all patients. It takes an experienced surgeon with an artistic eye to deliver beautiful breast lift results.
Your Breast Lift Consultation
During your initial appointment, Dr. Zenn will encourage you to openly share how you feel about the size, shape, and fullness of your breasts. This is a significant discussion that allows you to talk about what you specifically like and dislike about the way your breasts look and the changes you would like to achieve.
As part of your examination, Dr. Zenn will show you the type of result you should expect with a reshaping procedure only. He will review the degree to which the breast lift can change the size of your breasts by shaping alone.
If you are happy with this proposed outcome, you may be a good candidate for a breast lift only. However, if you prefer that your breasts be larger after your breast lift, you may want to combine the surgery with a breast augmentation.
If a smaller, lifted breast is desired a breast reduction may be the best route. This is most common when women have pre-existing breast implants they would like removed.
Breast lift surgery can correct breast asymmetries as well. Having significant differences between the breasts is normal and every effort should be made to make your breasts after surgery as similar as possible.
Your consultation is the time to “ask the expert.” Ask Dr. Zenn all the questions you can think of regarding breast lift surgery. He will answer your questions thoughtfully and thoroughly and will make sure you understand the ins and outs of breast lift surgery. Dr. Zenn will share his extensive gallery of before and after photos with you so you can see actual results on patients with similar anatomy to yours. He wants you to be comfortable with your choice to have the procedure and very confident with your choice of surgeon.
Immediately before your surgery, Dr. Zenn will review the surgical plan with you and make specialized markings to guide the breast lift. For your safety, Zenn Plastic Surgery patients have their procedures in one of several accredited ambulatory surgical facilities in the Raleigh – Durham – Wake Forest – Cary areas. A board-certified anesthesiologist (MD) helps patients sleep safely and comfortably throughout the surgery.
During the surgery Dr. Zenn will:
- Remove excess skin and reshape tissues to give your breasts an uplifted, more beautiful shape, augmenting the breasts if desired
- Reposition your nipples on your breasts and if required, reduce the size of the areolas
- Ensure that your breasts look natural and symmetrical whether you are lying down or standing upright
Your Recovery from Breast Lift Surgery
Following your breast lift, you will want to take it easy for 2-3 days before returning to work and light activities. It’s not uncommon to have bruising, swelling, and some tenderness in your breasts and the surrounding areas as you heal. Your scars will heal enough to tolerate the stress of full regular gym workouts 2-4 weeks after surgery. Expect to have very minimal swelling, if any at all, by the end of your recovery at two months. Finally, you will find yourself with your much more full and natural appearing figure.