Dr. Michael Zenn is an expert in breast surgery, having written multiple articles and chapters in textbooks on the subject. He has more than 25 years of experience performing thousands of cosmetic breast procedures and has been recognized by his peers as a master breast surgeon. His delicate and detail-oriented approach has given him an unparalleled experience with implant selection and placement. Many patients often seek Dr. Zenn out to fix poorly done past surgeries from other plastic surgeons. Dr. Zenn is highly skilled at performing breast implant revision surgery as well. Because of this experience, patients can expect world-class results from Dr. Zenn. Patients enjoy natural-looking outcomes that gracefully complement their individual body type.
What is Breast Augmentation?
Also known as augmentation mammoplasty, breast augmentation is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures performed in the country and Dr. Zenn at Zenn Plastic Surgery is one of the nation’s experts in the procedure. For most patients, breast augmentation only takes 2 hours to perform and is done as an outpatient procedure. During the surgery, Dr. Zenn will use breast implants and fat grafting to add volume and restore the shape of your breasts. You and Dr. Zenn will discuss the different types of breast implants available, as well as breast implant placement, profile, and incision type to ensure you receive the results you’re looking for.
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
- It enhances and reshapes a woman’s breasts and increases breast size through the placement of implants.
- Helps you attain fuller, larger breasts
- Breast augmentation surgery counteracts the effects of pregnancy, significant weight changes, and/or aging.
- Will give you a more balanced and feminine figure
Is a Breast Augmentation Right for You?
Dr. Zenn plans breast augmentation procedures with consideration of his patients’ goals, preferences, and unique anatomy. As a skilled cosmetic breast surgeon, he has the ability to perform procedures using a variety of surgical techniques. Additionally, he has in-depth knowledge of the aesthetic nuances that lead to the most attractive results.
Typically, Dr. Zenn:
- Favors round and smooth silicone implants. In his experience, these implants tend to offer the most natural appearance whether the patient is standing up, lying down or being active.
- Has patients try on various-sized implants to best determine the desired breast size. This eliminates surprises after surgery with breasts smaller or larger than anticipated.
- Recommends above-the-muscle implant placement when possible. For the majority of his patients, this provides the most natural-looking outcome without the associated problems encountered with under-the-muscle placement, such as unwanted movement of the breasts with activity and discomfort.
- Advises patients if they should consider breast augmentation alone or in conjunction with a breast lift. Many women benefit from the reshaping effects of a lift as well as the increased fullness of an augmentation.
- Will discuss fat grafting to the breast to hide implant visibility long-term.
Some surgeons place implants in a position that is higher than the desired final results. After several weeks or months, the breast tissue stretches, the implants descend, and the breasts take on their final, more natural shape.
Dr. Zenn’s patients can often avoid this delay; he uses a deliberate and exacting approach that positions the implants precisely, which allows patients to see the benefits of their surgery sooner.
What to Expect During Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
During your initial visit to Zenn Plastic Surgery, you will have the opportunity to get to know Dr. Zenn and our staff and to discuss your aesthetic goals. Dr. Zenn will spend as much time as necessary with you to develop a shared understanding of how you want to look after your breast augmentation. He will show you his extensive gallery of before and after photos so you can see other patients with similar anatomy and their post augmentation results.
As part of your examination, Dr. Zenn will take note of your body’s unique anatomy to ensure that your results:
- Have the most pleasing shape possible, both in and out of clothes.
- Appear natural, full, and symmetrical.
- Avoid the all-to-common unnatural appearance of implants that are placed too high or spread too far apart.
You will have the chance to help choose the ideal size implant by trying on different sizes in your clothes. This will allow you to get a realistic idea of how you will look after surgery (and is usually the most fun part of the consultation!)
You will have the opportunity to ask all the questions you’ve ever had about breast augmentation — over the muscle vs. under the muscle, round vs. shaped, smooth vs. textured, what’s the buzz about Gummy Bear implants…and Dr. Zenn will be happy to share his knowledge with you. No question is ever too small. We want you to be comfortable with your decision to have breast augmentation and confident in your choice of surgeon.
What to Expect During Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
All Zenn Plastic Surgery patients have their procedures in one of several accredited surgical facilities. A board-certified anesthesiologist/CRNA helps patients sleep safely and comfortably throughout the surgery and to wake up with little or no pain, sore throat, or queasiness.
On the day of your procedure, Dr. Zenn will review the surgery with you again and make marks to guide the breast augmentation.
During the surgery, Dr. Zenn will:
- Place incisions with a focus on minimizing scarring and speeding your recovery.
- Place the desired implant sizers and make small adjustments as needed before placing final implants.
- Ensure that your breasts have a symmetrical, natural appearance, whether you are upright or lying down.
What is the Recovery After Breast Augmentation Like?
Following your breast augmentation, you will want to take it easy for 2-3 days before returning to work. It’s not uncommon to have soreness, swelling, and tenderness in your breasts and the surrounding areas as you heal. Furthermore, you can resume regular gym workouts 3-4 weeks after surgery at which point scars should be minimal and well on their way to final healing.
By the end of your recovery, you can expect a fuller and natural looking figure.
What is the Average Cost of a Breast Augmentation?
It is important to know that the cost of breast augmentation is a package price that includes surgeon’s fee, anesthesia fees, surgical facility fees and of course the cost of the implants themselves. Since every plastic surgeon offers breast augmentation as a procedure, there is a lot of shopping around for price. Just know that the advertised price at many places may not be the eventual price you pay. At Zenn Plastic Surgery, the package price is the price. It also includes the consultation, photos, scar gel, garments, and all follow-up appointments. Why is the package price at Zenn Plastic Surgery a little higher than most? Because who does the surgery matters and no one in the Triangle is more experienced than Dr. Zenn.