Why Choose Dr. Zenn?
- Dr. Zenn’s peers consistently recognize him as a master breast surgeon
- By invitation, Dr. Zenn often teaches techniques of breast surgery around the globe
- Dr. Zenn is the published author of multiple textbook sections and articles about breast surgery
- Dr. Zenn performs complex breast augmentation surgeries based on his extensive experience in cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery
- He is rated as a Castle Connolly Top Doctor for Reconstructive Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation enhances and reshapes a woman’s breasts and increases breast size through the placement of silicone or saline implants and/or fat grafts. Many women choose breast augmentation surgery to have fuller, larger breasts. While others seek to counteract the effects of significant weight changes, as well as aging. Breast augmentation is the most requested plastic surgery procedure for women seeking mommy makeovers. Most often the goal of breast augmentation is a more balanced and feminine figure.
Dr. Zenn’s Approach to Breast Augmentation
Dr. Zenn plans breast augmentation procedures with consideration of his patients’ goals, preferences, and unique anatomy. As a skilled cosmetic breast surgeon, he has the ability to perform procedures using a variety of advanced surgical techniques. Additionally, he has in-depth knowledge of the aesthetic nuances that lead to natural-looking, long lasting results.
- Favors round and smooth silicone implants. In his experience, these implants tend to offer the most natural appearance whether the patient is standing up, lying down or being active
- Has patients try on various-sized implants at consultation to best determine the desired breast size. This eliminates surprises after surgery with breasts smaller or larger than anticipated
- Recommends above-the-muscle implant placement when possible. For the majority of his patients, this provides the most natural-looking outcome without the associated problems encountered with under-the-muscle placement, such as unwanted movement of the breasts with activity and discomfort
- Advises patients if they should consider breast augmentation alone or in conjunction with a breast lift. Many women benefit from the reshaping effects of a lift as well as the increased fullness of an augmentation
- Will discuss fat grafting to the breast to hide implant visibility long-term
Some surgeons place implants in a position under the muscle that is higher than the desired final results. After several weeks or months, the muscle and breast skin stretches, the implants descend, and the breasts take on their final, more natural shape.
Dr. Zenn’s patients can often avoid this delay; he uses a more deliberate and exacting approach that positions the implants precisely, which allows patients to see the benefits of their surgery sooner. Placement of the implants above the muscle also limits the pain associated with surgery and removes the annoying breast movement (“animation deformity”) seen with submuscular placement.
“Dr. Zenn is definitely the best surgeon in the specialty of Plastic and Reconstructive surgery. I had the honor to work with him as an OR Nurse and see only wonderful outcomes. He had to be my surgeon, no doubt about it! Dr. Zenn has great bedside manners, he is very professional and knowledgeable, caring and compassionate. He helped me choose the right size of implants for my body frame, and explained to me every step of the procedure from the registration to recovery. He followed up with post- op calls himself and with his wonderful nurse JoAnn. If you are looking for breast augmentation that has a natural look to feel confident and beautiful, you must come and see Dr. Zenn.”
Your Plastic Surgery Consultation
During your initial visit to Zenn Plastic Surgery, you will have the opportunity to get to know Dr. Zenn and our staff and to discuss your aesthetic goals. Dr. Zenn will spend as much time as necessary with you to develop a shared understanding of how you want to look after your breast augmentation. He will show you his extensive gallery of before and after photos so you can see other patients with similar anatomy and their post-augmentation results.
As part of your examination, Dr. Zenn will take note of your body’s unique anatomy to ensure that your results:
- Have the most pleasing shape possible, both in and out of clothes
- Appear natural, full, and symmetrical
- Avoid the all-to-common unnatural appearance of implants that are placed too high or spread too far apart
You will have the chance to see how you would look after augmentation by trying on different sizes of implants. Hence, this will allow you to get a realistic idea of how you will look in your clothes after surgery (and is usually the most fun part of the consultation!).
The consultation is your opportunity to ask all the questions you’ve ever had about breast augmentation. Things such as, over the muscle vs. under the muscle, round vs. shaped, smooth vs. textured. And even, what’s the buzz about Gummy Bear implants? Dr. Zenn will be happy to share his expertise with you. Above all, there is no question to small. We want you to be comfortable with your decision to have breast augmentation. And certainly, very confident in your choice of plastic surgeon.
All Zenn Plastic Surgery patients have their procedures in one of several accredited ambulatory surgical facilities in the Raleigh – Durham – Cary area. A board-certified anesthesiologist(MD) helps patients sleep safely and comfortably throughout the surgery. Patients wake up with little or no pain, sore throat, or queasiness.
On the day of your procedure, Dr. Zenn will review the surgery with you and answer any final questions. Next, he will make marks to guide the breast augmentation surgery.
- Place incisions with a focus on minimizing scarring and speeding your recovery
- Place the desired implant sizers and make small adjustments as needed before placing final implants
- Ensure that your breasts have a symmetrical, natural appearance, whether you are upright or lying down
Your Recovery from Breast Augmentation Surgery
Following your breast augmentation, you will go home and rest. Then, will see Dr. Zenn in the office the next morning for your post-surgery examination. You may shower the first day after your surgery. You will want to take it easy for 2-3 days before returning to work. It’s not uncommon to have soreness, swelling, and tenderness in your breasts and the surrounding areas as you heal which is easily hidden in clothes. You can resume regular gym workouts 2-4 weeks after surgery. Dr. Zenn will see you back two months after surgery for your final exam and photos.