At Dr. Zenn’s Raleigh office, his patients often want to make sure that their facelift results will look natural and not fake or overdone. This concern often stems from the many poor facelift surgeries performed on those in public life, like celebrities. Being in the public eye means that even the slightest change is noticeable. And if those changes aren’t so slight, then they become viral.
Dr. Zenn’s philosophy when approaching plastic surgery of any kind is to provide each and every patient with subtle, natural-looking results. After surgery, its critical that you still look like you, just better. Many patients remark after surgery that no one noticed that they had a facelift – yet their before and after pictures are dramatically improved. And this is just they way they like it!
What are Signs of a Poorly Done Facelift?
- Windblown Look: caused when the surgeon stretches the facial skin beyond a natural point, making the face look pulled back and unnatural.
- Visible Scars: poor technique could lead to visible scars near the hairline or the ear, which can be hard to cover with makeup.
- Pixie Ears: this look is caused when the surgeon creates too much traction on the skin without properly anchoring underneath. This causes the earlobes to be pulled down and disappear into the cheek. The soft rounded earlobe disappears.
- Unnatural Wrinkle Lines in the Face: these lines occur when a face is pulled in a way that changes the direction of the wrinkles that make them look weird and unnatural. This is a common mistake that an inexperienced surgeon makes and is hard to correct.
What Leads to a Bad Facelift?
There are many reasons why a facelift can lead to a fake or “overdone” appearance:
- Poor Technique
When choosing a plastic surgeon to perform your facelift, be sure to check his or her credentials and make sure this is a major part of their daily practice. Many surgeons claim to be board-certified but not necessarily by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. And they may carry affiliations with organizations related to cosmetic surgery, but not the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons. The number of lesser boards and organizations is confusing to the consumer but do your homework. The reason that some celebrities have such poor results is because they didn’t.
- Performing a Facelift When the Patient is Not a Good Candidate
Another reason some Raleigh men and women end up with facelift results that look fake is that their surgeon choses to perform a facelift when something else should have been done. In other words, the facelift procedure will not deliver what the patient desires, leading to disappointment and bad results.
Dr. Zenn’s Approach to Facelift
A facelift is a very delicate procedure and involves critical structures including important muscles, nerves, and blood vessels. Dr. Zenn is highly trained in this procedure. Through his world-class training and decades of experience, he has an intimate knowledge of the anatomy of the face and what can successfully be done to improve things.
To create a smooth, youthful appearance, Dr. Zenn will:
- Lift and reposition the underlying facial support structures that have sagged over time.
- Harvest fat from unwanted areas of his Raleigh patient’s body and use it to restore youthful fullness to facial features.
- Avoid an unnatural looking “windblown” effect by gently re-draping the skin over this new volume and structure – and not rely on simply pulling the skin like most surgeons.
This combination of facelift techniques gives his patients’ more youthful contours to the face as they existed at an earlier age. Elevating the supporting structures of the lower face also aids in giving Raleigh patients a more defined neck and jawline, a key to a youthful look. Dr. Zenn approaches every facelift procedure on an individual basis and develops each treatment plan based on the specific needs of his patients.
To learn more about Dr. Zenn, his team, and the facelift procedure, call his Raleigh office today at (919) 480-3885.